A study from Nielsen showed that viewers rate ads with music, more creative, informative, memorable and emotive compared to those without. So, before I go into "how to find music" for your branded content, let's prove that music matters in advertising and marketing.
If you're in advertising, you already know the power of music. If you're a human, you probably already know the power of music. While you might not know why music matters this much, you're validated in your feeling. 500 out of the 600 adverts that Neilsen tested for effectiveness include music. Their research proved that ads with some form of music perform better than others across the most important key metrics. Take a look:
How To Use Music In Your Content
In brief (because you don't have all the time in the world), music can serve in many positions. Here are some of my favorite:
- In an Instagram video
- In your brand's Instagram or Snapchat story
- In any of your paid or organic promotional videos on socials
- Make a video file out of a few product photos (repeat them if you have to) then add music. It'll look like a .gif, just with the added benefit of music
- Or turn your .gifs into video files then add music.
- Make a Spotify playlist for your brand then share it with your followers
- On your Myspace page... ok that one's a joke for us old schoolers
Get it, got it, good? I'm sure you can think of a few other creative ways to use music in your brand's content. I believe in you!
Where To Get Music For Your Content
There are quite a few resources to gather the rights for music. Unfortunately for you, you can't just take Drake's newest single and throw it on your ads or content without paying stacks on stacks on stacks for the license to use that song. While large ad agencies and brands can afford those licensing costs, here are a few bootstrapped ways to legally license music for your content:
- Music Bed: these guys provide filmmakers and content creators with a selection of music to license for their projects
- Epidemic Sound: they work closely with musicians to soundtrack stories for brands all over the world
- Do you have a neighbor, friend, cousin in a band? See if they'll let you use their song royalty-free for an appropriate licensing fee.
- Contract qualified songwriters and producers to make custom music for your brand that you exclusively have the rights to use. (hint: people like me 💁🏻)
Well, I hope this makes "making content" easier! Music holds a heavy place in most people's lives. So why not use it to share your story and reach real people. Have questions? Tweet @ me. - Jessica Frech